Skip to content

Full term!

April 18, 2010

Woohoo, for a little while there I wasn’t thinking that we would make it to full term before the baby decided to join us.

So N and I had a little tour of L&D last week on Monday.  Sunday night (right after I finished my blog post) I started having contractions.  They were coming about every 10 minutes.  I was drinking a ton of water and sitting pretty much all day to get my swelling down so we decided to go for a walk to see if that would calm down the contractions.  The dr had told us to change positions and sometimes increasing activity would get the contractions to slow or stop.  While on our walk of our neighborhood, the contractions got as close as 4 minutes apart and we started to get a little excited/nervous!  We got home and I went to the bathroom and the contractions slowed down to every 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 and stopped.

I was wired and could hardly sleep that night!

I woke up at 1:30 with more contractions but those stopped by 2 and by 5 I was wide awake and pacing the apartment because they were getting a little more painful and were every 10 minutes.  By this time I called the on call Dr and told her what was going on, she recommended I drink 3 big glasses of water and lay on my left side and time them to see if they went away or decreased any, well they didn’t but I passed out (*side note, when overly stressed, I have a crazy ability to sleep through just about anything!)  Nick woke me up around 8 and told me I either needed to go to work (oops!) or call the Dr back.  I called the Dr and told them that the contractions hadn’t stopped and after making some phone calls to the new Dr on call, they told me to go to the hospital for a non stress test (NST.)  My reaction was to take a shower to shave my legs and N went for a quick run!  We deal with stress in very different ways 🙂

During the NST, they made me drink 3 more big glasses of water to monitor my contractions.  The baby’s heart rate looked great and she didn’t seem to be stressed out too much but she really hated those contractions.  Her heart rate would go up every time I had one and she often tried to kick/punch her monitor off, which was pretty funny to hear.  With all the drinking and getting up to pee, the contractions were only getting closer together so the NST nurse called my Dr and they sent a resident over to check my cervix.  Thank you Jesus, it was a woman with little hands!

I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced, that was progress from Thursday so that got me a ticket to L&D triage.  In the short walk over to triage, the baby switched sides and my contractions slowed and became a lot less uncomfortable.  They gave me 2 bags of IV fluids and eventually let me go home.  What a day!

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: